Wardley Hall is the official residence of the Roman Catholic Bishops of Salford, and is situated in a wooded estate at Worsley, near Manchester.
The present hall was built by Thurstan Tyldesley during the reign of Edward VI (1547 – 1553). The site has been in continuous occupation since c.1300. The hall was restored by John Douglas in 1894. Within the house, in a niche on the main staircase, is the skull of St. Ambrose Barlow, one of the Forty Martyrs of England and Wales.
The Society visited Wardley on 3rd November 2016, our thanks to Fr. Steven Parkinson and Morris Garratt for arranging the event. There was a welcome drink on arrival and then a conducted tour. The group were intrigued by the skull of St Ambrose Barlow and the story of his life, a portrait of him can be seen in the chapel. Our guide also showed us the small chalices used in Ambrose’s time which could be taken apart and hidden in clothing so that priests could escape detection.